/ by /   IJR Racing / 0 comments

A testing week

This week has been a testing week made a bit easier by a much welcomed winner in the form of TRICORN at Ayr on Wednesday.  It’s taken me a while to get to know him but on Wednesday he finally showed his force of old by delivering in the 1m 2f Handicap under Andrew Mullen.  90% of the credit for this has to go to Tricorn’s regular work rider Max Jenkins.  He’s a tricky, stressy ride but Max keeps him switched off and never allows him to lose his cool. The other 10% goes to the team at home (including my Vets) who have worked tirelessly through a very tricky dry patch to get the team back to full health.

Wednesday’s winner is the sort of thing I want to be in the papers for and not the debacle that was written in the Racing Post on Monday.  I won’t lie, that was tough! The outpourings of support from Owners, fellow Trainers and yard followers has been fantastic and really boosted the morale when it was at one of an all-time low.  I see from yesterday’s Racing Post Headlines that the betting scams appear to be raging on.  Perhaps it’s time the BHA took heed?

As Trainers, we have been receiving a lot of communication from The National Trainers Federation and the BHA on the tightening up of syndicates.  This is good news.  However, I think the hierarchy need to be concentrating on all forms of Ownership and who they are very easily allowing into the industry.  I’m no fool, we are in an industry that is hugely supported by the bookmakers and all bill paying Owners are more than entitled to a flutter on their own horse, it’s all part of the fun but with online betting accounts and social media nowadays it’s become a lot more than that.

In other news, we sold two horses at GOFFS yesterday. I didn’t buy any as quite simply had no orders.  Goffs are, and quite rightly, delighted with their figures and records over the last 4 days.  It’s so encouraging on the back of Covid etc.

We are looking forward to runners at Catterick, Haydock and possibly Fakenham this weekend.  Another win to end the week would do me just fine…fingers crossed!